The impact of the pandemic has caused Badminton England to announce a restructure that will include up to 25% of staff facing redundancy. The restructuring programme will focus on protecting the core elements of the sport, ensuring that it can continue to help the badminton community navigate the impact of the pandemic and to stay active, while continuing to prepare for the Tokyo Olympic and Paralympic Games in the summer of 2021 and protecting the next generation of young talent.
“This is a really sad day for us. I am privileged to work alongside an amazingly talented team who, through this period, have shown the most extraordinary commitment to get badminton back, despite the many hurdles that stand in our way. Unfortunately, because of the pandemic, some valued colleagues will leave the organisation.Adrian Christy, Chief Executive, said:
“But Badminton England has been hit extremely hard financially by the global coronavirus pandemic with the lockdown measures resulting in a loss of more than £1m of income, along with the continued disruption to the game. This is having a material impact on the finances of the organisation now and is expected to in the months ahead.
“While we undertake the consultation process with our team, there will inevitably be some disruption and I thank everyone in advance for their understanding during this period.
“The restructure reflects the immediate priorities for the organisation and will ensure that we remain financially secure and come through this in good shape, ready to manage the challenges ahead and embrace the opportunities also.”Adrian Christy said:
Last month, Christy warned of the threat to the YONEX All England Championships, scheduled to be held at Arena Birmingham in March 2021. The warning followed the announcement by Government that plans to allow fans back to sporting events had been put on hold.
The All England is a critical part of Badminton England’s economy and we were already preparing for a limited audience next year. However, we are now working with our International Federation and our Government to secure the support that helps to protect the Championships, and consequently, the organisation.”Adrian Christy added
The consultation process will be conducted in two stages, the first beginning on Monday 2 November 2020 and concluding on 30 November 2020. The second stage will begin early in 2021 with the overall process completed no later than 31 March 2021.
Full details of the impact of the programme and how it will affect our day to day dealings with the badminton community will be available once the consultation process has completed.